I know, to some this may seem like an impossible feat; but it doesn’t have to! Working out doesn’t need to be a chore, and it shouldn’t feel like punishment. There are so many people and articles and blogs out there that will tell you the perfect way to workout, what you should and shouldn’t do, etc…The reality is, every body and individual is different, and if necessary you may need additional help (say with a personal trainer); but you first need to get to a place where you can look at working out as a means to a healthy, happy, endorphin fueled life. These are just a few tips that I found have worked for me. Let me know if you’ve tried the same things or similar!
- Don’t feel like you have to spend money to get fit: Such a misconception is that you need to spend a crazy amount of money to see real results- this simply isn’t true. YouTube has incredible workout video tutorials completely free and at any internet users disposal. I personally love blogilates, her energy is amazing! You can also take to websites like kijiji and varagesale for deals on workout equipment. If you were looking to spend a little money, there are awesome discount gym memberships like fit4less or Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide (BBG) that you can do from home! Do your research ladies, there’s so much at your disposal
- Always have music on hand: Music is honestly one of the most important things in my entire life. Almost everything I do is accompanied by music, so it is no surprise that it is essential to my workout routine. Find music that can illicit excitement and physical energy in you, and have it on hand while working out. If you’re at a gym or somewhere in public, make sure you have a set of quality headphones. I personally like my rose gold Beats by Dre because they cancel out all exterior noise and sound amazing! (plus they’re cute!)
- Feel good, look good: Yes, you should definitely be sweating and maybe a little red in the face- but you should still have cute, durable clothes to workout in. I know when I put on my favourite Lulu’s and Nike’s I’ll feel pumped and ready to workout, plus I’ll be comfortable, too! There’s nothing worse than wearing baggy or worn out clothes to the gym, not just because you won’t feel confident but also because good quality workout clothes serve many purposes; they keep you dry, comfortable and don’t wear out easily.
- Try not to focus too much on time: Personally, I try to spend a solid hour or more working out, but I don’t stress if I can’t make that quota. A 20 minute workout can do wonders if you get your heart rate up and consistent, and your muscles feeling toasty warm. Sometimes on a date night or a particularly busy day, I skip my regular workout and bang out a quick but effective workout that targets my whole body. We are human, we can only do so much. Go easy on yourself and remember that quality is often better than quantity.
- Stay hydrated: This may seem so obvious, but the one time I forgot my water bottle at the gym I basically withered away. It’s so important to stay properly hydrated, especially during an intense workout. Small, consistent sips are key; chugging your water will result in much more frequent bathroom breaks (which really sucks when you are on the treadmill!). I love S’well bottles, they’re super cute and make you want to drink more water.
Let me know what you ladies do to help you love your workout! Or give my tips a try and tell me if it worked for you, too!